Saturday, July 18, 2009

Wooster to Youngstown OH 94.4 miles - 3,219.7 miles cum
















Today was a cool day. I dressed in my long sleeved shirt and wore a vest all day. It felt like a fall day instead of mid-July!
It also was a pretty boring riding day. We again went farms along back country roads occasionally going through small towns.At the 25 mile mark, we went through the town of Marshallville. It was a nice little town with a bakery. Everybody stopped there although I didn't get any baked goods.
The only interesting thing before the first Sag stop was the first super Dairy Farm that we have seen. Now I know why we kept seeing abandoned dairy barns and farm houses. This factory dairy farm put the small dairies out of business. Again no farmers in the field. I did see workers hauling manure out of the big dairy barns. That is not the farming job I want! After the Sag stop we found a good ice cream store in the town of New Baltimore. I had a Sweet Maria! It was strawberry ice cream with hot fudge, bananas, nuts and whipped cream. See what you can eat if you ride 100 miles a day? I am not sure how I will be able to cut back on my calories after the 28th. I guess I will have to ride back!
We left the 2ND Sag and rode the last 20 miles into Youngstown. We all dinner at the Perkins restaurant and then Meiri, Hans, Leigh and I went across the street to the Starbucks for a after dinner coffee. We found a display board showing one of Starbuck's Batista's bike trip from Youngstown to San Francisco. They took a more northern route than we did however they rode the same route from Salt Lake City to San Francisco. They were crossing east to west at the same time we were crossing west to east. We probably saw them on the other side of the road. I know I saw a lot of self supported riders going in that direction. Small world! Hans and I were treated to some thoughts Leigh and Meiri have on modern day women. Pretty interesting stuff!

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Leo,
I'm sorry I missed your trek across Ohio .. I woulda stood on the side of the road and offered a cup of water like they do in the Tour de France - those pikers don't really know how to ride these distances, do they ...
Anyway, keep up the great work and we'll see you in a few weeks.
Charlie