Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wendover NV to Salt Lake City Utah, 117 miles 876 cum






Today started out the same as the last several, cloudy and cool. We immediately crossed the border between Nevada and Utah. Another state under out belt. Unfortunately, we did not pass a welcome sign as we didn't enter I-80 until the 2 mile marker so I don't have a picture.
The entire day was spent on I-80. Utah is flat, at least it is on the route we have taken so far. The area is pretty bleak along the salt flats. Not all of the area is salt flats, there is a considerable amount of desert with sand and small desert plants. I think this all may have been more spectacular if the sun had been shining.
The Great Salt Lake is very impressive. It is shocking to see how much the water has receded in recent years. We stopped at an old resort to take pictures, it used to be at the water's edge, now the water is at least 100 yards from the shore.
We had a head wind today which made cycling a little difficult. In the past, the riders were able to experience 20mph tail winds which make a much more pleasant ride. We also had to run through the rain drops for most of the ride. Nevertheless, we made it in.
Tomorrow is a rest day and I really need one. We drop 5 riders here in Salt Lake City and pick up 13 more. New faces and names to learn and I was just getting used to old ones. One of my riding buddies, Dave is leaving so I hope I can find another one in the new group.

No comments: