Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Sacramento to Auburn 51.4 miles - 216 cum






















Today was a cool day but at least sunny. We bicycled to breakfast which was about 1 mile away. After breakfast, Bruce, my roommate and I started out. The first 33 miles were along the best bike path I have ever been on. It was paved the entire way with no cracks or bumps in the pavement at all. It followed the American river all the way to Folsom Lake. We passed Folsom Prison along the way. If we listened closely, we could hear Johnny Cash singing about a train acoming! Our first sag stop was by the lake. It was pretty neat. After the sag, we started out on the highway to Auburn. Although it was only another 28 miles, it was mostly uphill. There were several very steep climbs. Bruce eventually pulled away and I started riding with Steve. He and I rode together into Auburn and had lunch at an outdoor restaurant. It was typical Californian fare, Cobb salads and Black Cherry lemonade. Pretty tasty! After lunch, we went to a bike shop and then to a Starbucks. While we were sitting there, the lens fell out of my sunglasses. The screw was still in the frame and I used Steve's pen knife to tighten it. I needed to have my bike adjusted and Sean, our mechanic, said that he had a small jeweler's screw driver I could use to tighten it up. Good news!






We checked into the motel and then I realized I have lost my laptop charger. It maybe a few days before I get more posts done. Fortunately, I found my laptop charger just where I left it. I was talking to Phyllis and realized my cellphone needed charged and the laptop charger was with it. Hurrah!!






Tomorrow may be the toughest ride day of the trip. 8,450 feet of climbing. We will leave early, 5:30AM. To bed early tonight!!!!

No comments: