Monday, June 15, 2009

Battle Mountain to Elko NV 73.4 miles 652 cum






It was another cool cloudy morning as we left Battle Mountain today on our way to Elko NV. The first 22 miles were on a two lane back road with very few cars. We cruised along at 14 to 15mph. I rode with about 8 riders, 2by2 for about 10 miles then I dropped out for a minute. I rode alone until the sag stop at mile 26. We were back on I-80 at mile 22. The shoulder was in pretty good shape. After the Sag stop, we had a 12 mile climb to the top of Emmigrant Pass. One of the good things about going so slow up a hill, you can appreciate the scenery. Since Nevada has had so much rain in the past week or so, it is green where normally it would be all brown. It is amazing. The mountains are also very impressive in the distance with their snow caps. After a brief rest, then it was a straight 10 mile screaming descent to the exit for Carlin NV. I met up with Dave again in Carlin and we had lunch at the Subway. After lunch, We headed for Carlin Canyon. The original railroad route went through the canyon in 1860's. Eventually, the railroad built tunnels to bypass the canyon. A road was built on the old railroad bed but it was isolated when I-80 was constructed. Now it is essentially a park to be enjoyed by everyone. I have included a picture of it. To get back on route, we had to hop over the road barriers and cross westbound I-80. Another 25 miles on I-80 and we were in Elko. About 6 or 8 of us stopped at a Dairy Queen for a treat. Six hours of cycling burns about 4500 calories so I figure I can afford one hot fudge sundae!
Tomorrow we ride our first century so it is early to bed.

No comments: