Friday, June 5, 2009

In San Francisco











I love this town! I have been to San Francisco on dozen of occasions and I am never bored and always find something new. I arrived here last night and met a fellow rider, Jack, on the shuttle bus. We hit it off and had dinner together and agreed to meet at 9:00am to tour San Fran. We took the shuttle back over to the airport and then took the BART train into the city. Jack wanted to walk, he is a hiker so we stated up Powell street towards Nob hill. We eventually wound up in China town and from there went up to the Fairmont Hotel, which is one of the few buildings to survive the 1906 fire. It is also the hotel they used to film the old TV show "Hotel". Anyway Jack gave up on walking, he really doesn't understand hills the way we do in Western PA, so we took a cab to Fisherman's wharf. The cab driver recommended a restaurant I had never been to, Scoma's. It was fantastic. A Dungeness Crab salad that was superb!!! We then did the typical tour of the area and took a Cable Car back to the train station. Great time!!!!
The ride leaders had an earlier registration and bike assembly. After we put the bike together, the mechanics discovered that I have a broken Chainring. I will have to go to the bike shop on Sat and get it replaced. I met a rider who rode on my trip in 2006, Dave. He is only going to ride the western part of the trip. I had dinner with a couple of brothers from Phil and NJ, Jack and Rick Boyle. I was happy to find out that Jack is older than me.

No comments: