Monday, June 22, 2009

Green River UT to Grand Junction CO 102 miles 1184 miles Cum






Today we made it to Colorado! Wahoo!!!! Another state down and nine more to go. The day started out a little cool but it was sunny, imagine that! Today's route was completely on I-70. I started out riding with Bruce again and we rode together pretty much until the first rest stop then he went ahead while I climbed the hill to the rest stop. His loss, the view up there was spectacular!! I made it to the first Sag stop in pretty good order although I was the last one there today. I quickly filled my water bottles and hydration unit which I was using for the first time today and got back on the road. I was riding by myself for a while and then caught up to Meiri after about forty miles or so. She had asked me to be there at the state line so we could take pictures so I rode with her to the state line. The scenery was spectacular as usual in the high desert. I have said it before but there are things you see on a bike that you aren't going to see when you travel by car. You have time to look at something for awhile to let it soak in and then take the perfect picture. I am trying to figure out how to upload all of my pictures to a web site so you can see everything. I managed to get my first flat of the trip just a few miles before the 2nd Sag stop. The 2nd sag stop was situated under an underpass along I-70. It was the only shady spot for miles. Of course no rest room facilities but by now everyone is used to finding a bush, including the girls. It is funny to be looking of at a distance and then one of the women all of a sudden pop up! But we all know now to not look!!
We left the Sag stop and rode 6 miles to the Colorado border. Since we missed the Utah Welcome sign, we went across the highway and took pictures there as well. As we approached the Utah sign, two young girls were taking each other's pictures. I offered to take their picture for them. One of the girls noticed my Pittsburgh shirt and said her father was from Pittsburgh. She is about the 4th person I have met who is from PA or knows someone from Pittsburgh.
As we entered Colorado, the scenery changed from high desert to mountains with green valleys. I said whoever created Colorado took the good parts and left the bad parts to Utah, New Mexico and Kansas.
We were riding along and came upon Marilyn who had a flat.Marilyn has had about 6 or 7 flats and does not know how to fix a flat. I fixed her flat and started back down the road. It wasn't three miles before I had my 2nd flat of the day. It turns out the group had over 25 flats today. I-70 was just full of little wires from the disintegrated truck tires which get embedded in our bike tires.
Meiri and I started talking about Starbucks and how we deserved a Frappachino for our ride today which was supposed to be a total of 97 miles. We agreed that we would keep riding until we found one. Her father had told her that there were Starbucks in Grand Junction. We had ride an additional 2.5 miles to get to one which meant a total of 102 miles for the day!
Grand Junction is named because the Colorado and Gunnison river join together here!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey Leo!Welcome to Colorado!! I am in Chicago this week but will be home tomorrow. What is your next stop in Colorado?? I would love to meet you someplace if I can!