Thursday, May 21, 2009

Longest ride of the year

Today, I rode the Yough trail from Boston to Connellsville, an 81 mile roundtrip. It was a beautiful day. I kept getting stronger as the day went by. I may be ready for the Cross Country trip which starts two weeks from Sunday. I averaged 13.1 mph the first hour and better than 14 mph the last hour. Over all, I averaged 13.4mph. I stopped for a hamburger and FF in West Newton. French Fries are not on my diet because of the fat but I figured with 6 hours of biking I could treat myself. When I stopped for my last treat (a blizzard) at mile 70 in Sutersville, I met two guys who are traveling self-supported across the US. One guy started in Virginia and is going to Portland OR. The other guy started in Maryland and is only going to Michigan. They planned to stop at the Dravo campgrounds for the night, about 4 miles to the west of Sutersville. The one guy started to talk about a shower and I told him there was no water at Dravo. He said then he would stay at a motel. I gave him the bad news, there are no motels until Pittsburgh. I thought he was going to cry. I left them there to figure out what they were going to do and finished my ride. 81 miles Wahoo!!!

No comments: