Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Finally got out riding but!!!

I went out this afternoon even though it was cool and threatening rain. I parked at the Giant Eagle in Harrison City and headed out for Twin Lakes. I was anticipating a 35 mile ride. After about 2.5 miles, my back tire went flat. Not a problem, since I am sure to get flats along the way this summer, this will be good practice. I took the wheel of the bike and proceeded to replace the tube. I managed to get the tire and tube off using my hands only. I was able to put the new tube on and get the tire back on using only my hands (no tire irons). That is when disaster struck. I had never used the tire pump I was carrying. It was a combination CO2 and hand pump. The CO2 part only worked for a few seconds and only partially inflated the tire. I tried a second cartridge but with no luck. I then tried to use the hand pump and was only able to get about 20 lbs in the tire. I then had trouble getting the tire back on the bike. I managed to get both of my hands completely black with chain grease. I limped back to the car and only managed 5 miles total. I did go to the bike store and ordered a new pump. Better luck tomorrow!

No comments: